12/21/2011

Making Dosas…



…IS AN ART !! Yes, Really!

I make South Indian style veg food, but have no idea about dosas . I love eating them though! My mother tried to teach me, telling me making dosas was the simplest thing, but really, its one of those things I kept saying “Some –other- day” to!

On a visit to the Indian store here in greenville, I found readymade dosa batter, so thought I’ll pick it up for me to try at my apartment. I thought I should be making them comfortably .

In the evening over last weekend, my roomie, Mr. Atheist and I were looking for a snack to eat. And we remembered the left over dosa batter. So we thought it’ll be fun to try out making dosas and gobbling them up as we waited for one more friend to join us for dinner.

So, the atheist tried first. On the phone with his girlfriend, he took instructions and entered the kitchen. I thought of helping him but sat back and watched him struggle with the tawa, and needless to say, we threw away three dosas. Of course each one of us came up with innovative ideas, mostly from memory, of having seen our mothers cook or in restaurants.

We wondered about how to spread it evenly, how high the flame should be on a scale of 1-10 (the stoves in North America are no way similar to what I saw back in india )and what to do in general. It must not be rocket science right?

Anyway, after much fooling around and laughter, and a big mess in the kitchen, I took instructions from my mom, and I am glad to report, by the time the batter finished, I was in a position to say “we can do it the next time!”

But funny be me, the dosas never made it off the kitchen counter and we kept eating them as they got off the tawa!

I know now its not difficult, but to start on your own with no clue, can be a big mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.. Comment here !