12/20/2011

A day without mobile




One fine sunny and warm morning- i started off to the office .


For the first time in years (far longer than I can actually remember for sure), I’ve forgotten to take my mobile phone with me. As I was half way along my journey to work i realised this ,which means I will be separated from my phone until at least 7pm today.


I already feel a bit cut-off, but that will soon change when I get into the office. Suffice to say, if you need to reach me today, you will actually need to call my office landline for a change, rather than going straight to my mobile.



I do get rather fed up with people, usually work contacts, who insist on using my mobile phone number as the primary way of contacting me for work-related queries (and I’m talking about the pointless stuff like “did you get the lunch invitation which we sent you a week ago” rather than the more useful “My manager is running late for his lunch meeting with you”.




I have a perfectly good landline in my office - please use it in the first instance. The mobile is there so that you can get hold of me if it is urgent, or if you have genuinely failed to get me on the landline first - don’t just bypss my office number altogether.


I do reject about 70 per cent of the calls I get to my mobile number during office hours anyway -so chances are you’ll still only end up talking to my voicemail before you talk to me, so you may as well talk to my office voicemail if it is not time critical - it’s more likely to get a reply, or at least listened to before my mobile voicemail will.


Nevertheless I am lovin it. No one can contact me but I could contact them when/if I needed to.


I feel free. These days I (like everyone else) can be contacted in all sorts of ways.


Enjoy your day mobile-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.. Comment here !