12/23/2011

Gifts or Cash or Cash-gifts ?


…. the holiday season is back at its full swing in North America.
As far as I can remember, Amul chocolates were the first ones to cash in on the whole "gift for someone you love" idea in India, much before Archies and Hallmark came about and created a thousand reasons to buy cards, pendants, cassettes and a whole lot  of gift items.

I was considered one of the uncool people in school, I didn't believe in Valentine's Day. According to the Valentine's Day myth, if you 'proposed' someone, they had to say yes. The idea had terrified me, more so because a) I didn't have that many suitors and b) I was rather shy then (!). After much resistance I decided it was worth the effort of making a Valentine's Day card... Only to learn I was still uncool because who wanted a hand-made card? Archies had much better options. So I scraped money to buy one only to be told there was a Rose Day and a Chocolate Day card -- and a rose and chocolate respectively -- to be bought as well...



Then suddenly there was Friendship Day, quickly followed by Teachers Day (strangely, Independence Day  and Republic day cards were never really sold...) I didn't get a whole lot of pocket money and therefore the most wise  thing to do was not participate in any of it. It didn't do much good  to my popularity and till date, the record stands that I've never received a Valentine's Day card. In fact, for some unusual reason come 14 Feb, I've usually ended friendships and relationships if I had any at that point in time . (Sigh !)

Somewhere in my late teen years, there started the whole thing about Mother's Day, quickly followed by Father's Day and Save the Dolphin Day or the belated versions of all these cards and days or a Sorry card to well, say sorry if you missed any of the days...

Increasingly today I find that wedding couples, engagement couples, expectant mothers, birthday candidates... Everyone prefers cash instead of a gift. Those who have to give gifts are relieved they don't have to think much, those receiving are relieved because at least they can use the cash instead of getting something they don't want or already have.

In fact in America , there is a list of gift items to select from at occasions like birthdays/weddings. So as an invited guest, you see the list and pick what you want to 'gift'. Some weddings even tell you the store the couple would like the gift from. I find it quite amusing and somewhat depressing. Aren't gifts supposed to be thought out? Something that shows you know the person you're giving it to and have put some effort thinking about it? Is it still a 'gift' if you're asking for it? If there is a demand list? Or is all just a scam?

Now there are advertisements everywhere for what to buy your Mom or Dad for Mothers and Fathers day respectively. It's all the same stuff. While I've never had trouble buying mom something, buying gifts for Dad was always a challenge. It seems it's the same thing the world over...I wonder if they too would prefer cash.

PS: Merry Christmas and happy holidays. Thanks a ton to Jesus Christ for giving us the much needed long weekend. I am yet to figure out what I’d want to do for the weekend though, perhaps I should keep blogging .
Ciao !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.. Comment here !